Wednesday 13 July 2011

Becoming an adult

In my 1st proper post I want to consider what makes someone an adult. I believe that being disabled gives me unique perspective on this this transition. I remember when this topic was discussed during one of my psychology seminars, it became obvious that most of my fellow students did not feel like adults yet even though they were all 20 or older. I know that until recently I certainly didn't feel like an adult even though I had had a taste of what it would feel like while traveling around campus on my own. I currently live at home with my mum and it is only now after I have finished my degree that she is giving me more responsibilities such as cleaning. I am now also signed on at the job center (what a mess that was) which means that the idea of getting a job is no longer theoretical (I may do a separate rant just about the phrase "previous experience necessary"). Also I am now preparing to start driving lessons (I wanted to wait till after I had completed all academic exams). These things in combination make me feel like I am starting to become an adult. I think what it comes down to is level of independence and responsibly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment